[OT] Server doesn't send response code

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Apr 28 23:34:49 EDT 2012

I'm not sure who to ask about this. If someone knows where the problem
is, I'll ask in an appropriate forum somewhere.

I've implemented PayPal's Instant Payment Notification system using an
old-style CGI on my (non-rev) server. It works fine. Paypal sends a
notification, my cgi responds, Paypal sends "validated", and I process
the order. The data always comes in and I always get the validation
response. That should be the end of it.

But PayPal's sandbox test tool consistently shows an error and replies
"IPN delivery failed. Unable to connect to the specified URL. Please
verify the URL and try again." Obviously it did find my server and URL,
because my script received the data and has responded back to Paypal,
which in turn has responded with a validation.

So I set up a test button on a fake web page and used their sandbox
accounts to "buy" from myself. Paypal sends its message, my cgi gets the
data, sends it back, it's validated, and then Paypal starts resending
the notification every 2 minutes forever until I turn off the system.
The IPN docs say Paypal will resend notifications until it gets a
response. When I look at the IPN history, there is no server response
code for any of the messages (it should be 200.) The response code field
is just empty.

So I think what's happening is my server isn't acknowledging receipt of
the messages, which causes Paypal to think it can't reach me, and it
keeps resending.

Is the problem a header I should be using? A server problem? Some kind
of block somewhere? ISP setup? Anyone know where I should start looking?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com