Need advice on upgrading LiveCode and environment

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun Apr 22 17:19:29 EDT 2012

I'm upgrading my development environment.  Based on the pain others seem to have gone through, I want to make a big jump.  However, I want to continue to build universal externals to support PPC and I'm concerned about multiple iOS external SDK installations.

My current setup on Snow Leopard:

For building stacks/apps/externals for Windows, OS X (Intel & PPC), and iOS 4.3 (actually Windows externals are made elsewhere)
LiveCode 4.6.4, Xcode 3.2.6, iOS Externals SDK R7

For building stacks/apps for Windows, OS X (Intel & PPC)
LiveCode 5.0.2

I'm thinking of keeping that (for PPC externals and maybe some compatibility issues for iOS) and then adding one of these for stacks/apps/externals for Windows, OS X Intel, iOS 5.1.

1.  Lion partition
LiveCode 5.5, Xcode 4.3.2, iOS external SDK R10

2.  Mountain Lion partition
LiveCode 5.5, Xcode 4.4, iOS external SDK R10

I suppose I could continue on my Snow Leopard boot, abandon building for iOS using Xcode 3.2.6 and move Xcode 3.2.6 to some folder for PPC externals only, and then move up to LC 5.5 (being careful about prefs and file formats), Xcode 4.2 for Snow Leopard, and R10 for all not PPP, but that will limit me to a 5.0 iOS simulator, I think.

I welcome advice, wisecracks, contradictions of assumptions and so on.  Also, I well come success stories for similar scenarios.  I'm not sure if I have violated some agreement by suggesting development on Mountain Lion.

Dar