Zipping Up an LC standalone program

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Tue Apr 10 21:22:47 EDT 2012

On 04/10/2012 07:54 PM, Pete wrote:
> Hi Warren,
> It's the un-zipping at the other end that concerns me, not the zip on my
> machine.  Sounds like the ability to handle tar files might require a
> Windows user to install some software.
> Pete

Yes, that is something completely different :D You could offer the more
efficient tbz2 format for your Mac users (and your Linux users when you
get to that) and the ZIP format for your Windows users. You could also
offer your Windows users a tbz2 version alongside the ZIP version and
some info on software they could use to open it. If your users have
managed to find your software and are capable of installing it, they
should also have no trouble installing the software to decompress the
archive. You just don't want to make it a requirement! Will you need to
recreate these archives so frequently that this will be a terrible
burden on you?

It was Mark who commented that tar+compression seems like too much work
without any benefit, and my original comment was mostly a response to
that thought.

Warren