Zipping Up an LC standalone program

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Tue Apr 10 21:59:56 EDT 2012

Hi Tim,
The origin of this thread was me trying to automate the packaging of the
app at my end by writing a script to handle the standaloneSaved message.
 It used the revZIPxxx commands which, unfortunately, don't seem to work
very well, so other scripted solutions were offered, including tar and zip.
 I can definitely continue to create the compressed files manually in a
format that will work just fine for Mac and WIndows (and hopefully Linux).

I'm thinking about a proper installer but, other than moving the
application to it's appropriate folder for the platform, there's nothing
else to do so it just seems like overkill.

Pete

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Tim Jones <tolistim at me.com> wrote:

> On Apr 10, 2012, at 5:54 PM, Pete wrote:
>
> > Hi Warren,
> > It's the un-zipping at the other end that concerns me, not the zip on my
> > machine.  Sounds like the ability to handle tar files might require a
> > Windows user to install some software.
>
> You might be surprised at just how many Windows users actually already
> have one of these installed.  Far too many developers shortcut the
> installer process and go this route.  That means that a lot of apps
> floating around in Windows space are already in tar, zip, rar, or other
> "non-standard" Windows file format.  To access these, the Windows users
> have already had to install an appropriate tool.
>
> Don't be afraid of something just because you're not an expert.  We've
> (app creators) been using these formats to deliver files and data to users
> for as long as I've been doing this (over 30 years at this point…).  If
> you're not going to be using an installer, then a zip file or tarball are
> very valid and accepted formats for delivery.
>
> Tim

Pete