Can I put advisory text in an 'ask' dialog?

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Tue Apr 10 13:02:09 EDT 2012

Sometimes one sees apps (on different platforms) where the user is invited to type something into a field, and the field is pre-filled with a text which disappears the moment the user starts typing - the initial text says stuff like 'type your name here'. This type of text is not preselected (apparently) - so it must be a special type of text, but I don't know how to make it appear. Specifically, in LC's iOS implementation, the 'ask' dialog scripting looks like this:

ask [ question | password ] prompt [ with initialAnswer ] [ titled title ]

so the question resolves to: how do I make the initialAnswer text a 'ghost' text such as I have described, or is it impossible?

Graham