Counting and numbering duplicates in a list

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Wed Sep 28 23:23:29 EDT 2011

On 29/09/2011, at 12:52 PM, Roger Eller wrote:

> There are several ways I could approach this, but I'm unsure which way is
> best?  I have a list of numbers that 'may' contain duplicates.  I need to
> sequence ONLY the duplicates without changing the order the list. If there
> is only one, it does not need to be sequenced.
>
> Should I just repeat, and keep the content of line x in a variable, then add
> 1 to a sequence variable if the number is encountered again?  Is there a
> better way?  Simple stuff, I know, but these lists can be really long, and I
> want it to process as quickly possible.
>
> 12345
> 12345
> 12344
> 12333
> 10112
> 12333
>
> must become:
>
> 12345-1
> 12345-2
> 12344
> 12333-1
> 10112
> 12333-2
>
> ˜Roger

Hmm... nice little challenge. How about:

put 1 into tIndex
repeat for each line tLine in tList
	add 1 into tCounter[tLine]
	switch tCounter[tLine]
		case 1
			put tLine into tOrder[tIndex]
			put tIndex into tLocator[tLine]
			break
		case 2
			put tLine&"-"&1 into tOrder[tLocator[tLine]]
			break
		default
			-- sequencing now
			put tLine&"-"& tCounter[tLine] into tOrder[tIndex]
			break
	end switch
	add 1 to tIndex
end repeat