Can LiveCode be used as an intermediary for two scripts?

Pierre Sahores sc at sahores-conseil.com
Sat Sep 17 19:33:22 EDT 2011

Le 17 sept. 2011 à 22:32, Admin a écrit :

> Hello all.
>
> Before I use LiveCode for this project, I am curious
> if LiveCode can do it.
>
> I have two php scripts utilizing MySQL. One is
> feature poor and can ONLY export data as a CSV (no other customization
> is possible)

LiveCode Server can do this (.lc script or .lc script + livecode password protected server-side lib stack)

> and the other is feature rich and allows for php POST and
> GET and also allows custom tables and fields to be created.

idem and, as a working example, some of my apps are creating/pg_dump(ing) postgresql tables on the fly (new saas apps accounts/backups) on a 24/7 basis.

> I need to
> create a program where I intercept the data export of one and send
> specific field data to the other.

Idem and the recommendation is to use two distinct application's servers in such tasks, the first for reading tasks and the second for writing ones.

> It has to run in the background and
> work invisibly with no actual input.

Idem

> Can LiveCode be used to create
> such an intermediary program?

Yes, without any reserve.

> If not, what would I be better off using?
> PHP? Python or Lua? Javascript?
>
> As another hurdle, I think the client
> wants me to create a middle database to hold the data that passes
> through for governmental reasons. I need this to be in one program -
> Step 1 would be to intercept the incoming exported mysql data (in CSV
> format) and place specific fields into the middle database and then
> route it to the other script and database.

LiveCode is the perfect tool to handle such processes. The best would be to have a client-side standalone able to manage the two LiveCode server apps workflows through REST (POST and GET) requests.

HTH,