iOS initial orientation

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Sep 13 13:29:20 EDT 2011

Jacque:

FWIW, I have dozens of iOS apps that not only start up in a rotated
orientation, but stay fixed in that orientation.  I'm seeing lots of games
that do this, and am surprised because I thought Apple's review police would
flag this behavior as bad.  I get if an app is designed to be landscape
only, but it seems like they should be able to make their titles support
both landscape right/left.

And there will always be cases where, for example, you'll have designed your
app to be landscape only, and the user is holding their device in portrait
orientation.  Obviously, they'll have to adjust, there's no way around that.

That being said, I wonder if you could display a black screen for a second
or so and allow for auto-rotation "behind the veil" before displaying
anything...

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director