Question About Windows Standalone

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 02:24:08 EDT 2011

On 09/06/2011 09:00 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 9/5/11 10:20 PM, Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:
>> Björnke,
>>
>> Excuse my ignorance. I guess it's a matter of terminology. So what
>> are they called?
>
> Externals are like HyperCard XCMDs. They are usually written in a
> lower-level language, and add a specific functionality to the LiveCode
> engine. The zip commands are implemented as an external, for example.
>
> If a standalone needs to include externals, they are placed in the
> Externals folder during the build process. If there are no externals
> used in the standalone, the standalone builder creates the folder
> anyway but it's empty. The folder isn't needed if your app doesn't use
> externals and is safe to throw away.

Presumably (wow, even more naive one coming here), Externals are
included inside a Mac App
bundle? And, wait-for-it, what about Linux standalones?

Certainly, it is a pain in the bottom re Windows standalones, as I would
like end-users to unpack
their standalone "just like that" and start using it, undistracted by
directories labelled "Externals".