Android/iOS datapoints

Colin Holgate coiin at verizon.net
Mon Nov 21 13:35:38 EST 2011

One of my Flash buddies gave me some figures for you. For this app (originally written in GameSalad, re-written in Corona):

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-secret-of-grisly-manor/id384282298?mt=8
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.firemaplegames.games.the_secretofgrislymanor
http://www.amazon.com/The-Secret-of-Grisly-Manor/dp/B004FOA84A

Here are some sales figures for a one year period:

iOS: 106,000 copies sold
Android: 72,000 copies sold
Android without Nook or Fire: 5,000 copies sold

There are some things to consider though. The iOS version was not for iPad, so in a sense there were 20 times as many sales on iOS than on an equivalent Android device (plus Android tablets). But, with the Nook and the Kindle, and the half price that Amazon charges, the figures became much better for Android.

Overall, off of this very tiny sampling, you could think of future Android OS app sales being similar to iOS, though I have told my friend that he could do better on iOS if he made an iPad version!