Android/iOS datapoints

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Mon Nov 21 13:24:49 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 12:02 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> When I purchased, on iOS it cost $5. On Android it cost $2. (The price has
> since changed for both.)
>
> Android apps for the most part seem to be either much cheaper or free. I
> think it's true that Android users don't want to pay. I've been mulling
> this over myself as I get closer to releasing something.
>
> --

I'm not in full agreement with you on Android users not "wanting" to pay.
 In some ways I think iOS makes it easier (and cooler) to pay.  It seems to
me that Apple users are used to paying more, and that goes back to the
early days of computers too.  Many Apple users (but not all) believe their
stuff is better simply because it is shinier.  Even the ads have a stronger
lure.

Most Android users simply got a new phone by upgrading, and wanted to add
mobile Internet access.  The Market is secondary in their lives.  Their
smart-phone is a just utility with new bells and whistles.  Then there is
the even smaller segment of tech-savvy Android users who go for the
high-end tablets.  By tech-savvy, I mean they can and have installed an OS,
they know about Linux and open source.  Ok, nerds.  ;)  Anyway, they'll
pay, but not if there is a free alternative.

At the end of the day, Apple has marketed their iStuff to the masses VERY
well.  The typical end-user (80% is my guess) has never heard of or even
cares to know anything about Linux.  Then there are the people who WANT the
iStuff, but can't justify the cost because it's only a toy to them.  Many
of those users will get an Android tablet because it offers a touch
interface, access to apps, etc. for a more practical budget price.  The
Kindle Fire is already setting the market on fire for this segment of users.

I just know Android app sales will increase as the devices saturate the
market.  Even if it's not the first thing a user does, they will eventually
have a need for an app, and they'll search.  And there will be your killer
app to save the day.  Or, it will only be on iOS, and an opportunity will
be lost.

˜Roger