[ANN] "World's first supercomputer tablet"

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Nov 9 22:05:45 EST 2011

Yep. And one of the reasons I predict Apple will be forced to license iOS
to other manufacturers within the next 3 years-- or lose the commanding
presence and top marketshare they now enjoy. The simple fact is it is
impossible for the small number of engineers at Apple to keep ahead,or even
keep up, with the thousands of engineers in the rest of the world. Small
teams of developers can and do create the best software. Unfortunately
that's not true for hardware, which needs the skills of a vertically
integrated and/or well networked company. Apple is not either.

PLUS, and this is a big PLUS, Apple has a virtual lock on the AppStore
business. Their model is a huge success and can only get better if Apple
were to license their mobile OS. I suppose the only issue is... How long
before iOS *becomes* MacOS? It's clear with the latest incarnation of Lion,
the merge is coming. The only question is how soon? It's a tough road to
navigate, and without the Jobs compass, it will be interesting.

Here's another prediction.... AppleTV will play a big part in all of this.
I'm not exactly sure how, but if the platform becomes open to developers,
it will be big. Not because of the TV, but because of the integration with
iOS.

http://gizmodo.com/5857759/meet-the-asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-the-worlds-first-supercomputer-tablet

> I do, and the only disappointment, if you can call it that, is that the
TF101 already performs so well I'm likely to sit out the upgrade until the
version after this next one.

> Don't get me started.  The Transformer has been aptly named for me: with
the keyboard dock it's completely transformed my device lineup, replacing
both my tablet and my netbook.

> The cool Jules Verne enclosure motif is just icing on the cake.
>
> Other tablet vendors could learn a lot from Asus.  You don't have to
mimic the iPad to compete with it.  The Transformer is the second-best
selling tablet on the market today, and IMNSHO for good reason.

> With the quad-core NVidia Tegra 3 driving Ice Cream Sandwich, it only
gets better....

> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World