[OT] Pirate software in Germany?

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Tue May 24 15:09:18 EDT 2011

Lynn,

You don't have to be a software developer to have an interest in privacy
rights and the whole cuppa noodles that is covered under the 4th
Amendment.

Just because I am not a software developer (and I know you know that) and
just because you sell other people's software and people might sometimes
steal from you doesn't mean that I'm gonna be happy about warrantless
search and seizure some day when taking the train to work.

You might also remember that I am one of those people on the front line
trying to teach the teeming hordes of students who think nothing of
pirating software or other IP every semester exactly why they will end up
paying the piper at some point or another, and probably at the expense of
honest folk.

And, let's face it:  the overwhelming predominance of piracy lies outside
the US, not within it.  So these laws that pretend to help you in
actuality end up doing little other than weakening the 4th Amendment and
lining the pockets of the RIAA and MPAA in some of the most outrageous
examples of corporate litigation seen in US history.

Judy