[OT] Pirate software in Germany?

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Mon May 23 18:03:11 EDT 2011

> Ars Technica is reporting on a bill going through the
> California legislature that would permit warrant-free
> searches of firms that do CD or DVD duplication:
>
> http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/05/riaa-backed-wa
> rrantless-search-bill-advances-in-california.ars

Arguments for and against these regulations are so filled with vitriol, lies
and deception - its hard to know where to start.

At first, I found the warrantless nature of this really offensive, but its
by way of adding these replicators to a list of "closely regulated"
industries. While I understand the arguments about those industries, it
isn't only a matter that those others are protecting "consumers" and not
"the man", but that these industries are inherently and regularly subject to
abuse. IP like music certainly is abused. I don't find big companies and
their lobbyists particularly sympathetic either, but then again, the same
sorts that steal from them are also stealing from me. It isn't okay to steal
from them because they are big. I wonder about those who try to justify it
based on that argument (or that it really isn't stealing by way of
definition or that somehow there is a benefit to the industry).

As we progress towards a more technologically improved future, manufacturing
is becoming so mobile and agile to set up that the only economic way to
compete is through IP creation, ownership and licensing - who invents the
"art". That's where societal and educational directives should be hand in
hand in creating a society of creators instead of merely one of consumers.

Anyway - I just spent the last 30 minutes reviewing and sending DMCA
takedown notices to various download sites like filesonic and fileserve,
because pirates had uploaded products that I own and license to those sites.
I am very much directly affected by this sort of thing too.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Proactive International, LLC