Highlight list line on hover?

David Brooks dbrooks at unlserve.unl.edu
Thu May 12 11:22:43 EDT 2011

I'm the menu buttons guy -- whose problem remains unresolved. The menuhistory solves one problem, but not another.

I decided to develop a workaround in which a button pops up a field that looks line a pulldown menu.

The follwing script WORKS to hilite lines in a mouseover:

on mouseWithin
   put the mouseloc into theXY
   put item 1 of theXY  into theXX
   put item 2 of theXY  into theyy
   put item 2 of the topleft of me into theTopLeftY
   put trunc(((theYY - theTopLeftY)/18) + 0.5)  into theLineNumber
   select line theLineNumber of me
   wait 5 milliseconds
end mouseWithin

The 18 has to do with the line heights. I've not cleaned this up; it's fist try.  But, so far it works. My plan is to solve my problem using only one field (identified by object id), and to size and locate that field depending upon what the choices are and where the originating button object is on the card. (Don't ask what the theXX does; it look like a wasted line of code.)

Best,

Dave B.