Convert Packet decimals comp-3 and comp-6

Peter W A Wood peterwawood at gmail.com
Mon May 9 00:31:26 EDT 2011

Hi Josep

> The file come from a PC-MSDOS with a old ACUCOBOL-GT application, it's the
> customer file data, I have the File Definition with the structure of record.

Then the test will be ASCII encoded so you don't need to worry about having to convert the text;

> It's a one-off conversion but I have many files to convert.
>
> So my plan was read the file as chunks of bytes, and for each record (divide
> the lenght of the file by the lenght of a record) get the chars for each
> field. Making a conversion for the comp-3 and comp-6 data.

That sounds feasible. One thing that you may need to watch out for is that the records may have been padded by COBOL when written. For example, a PIC9(5) COMP-3 file could possibly be padded with one byte so that it takes a multiple of either 2 or 4 bytes.

Regards

Peter