Having fits with the menu bar

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Mar 12 18:20:36 EST 2011

On 3/12/11 5:05 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:
> My comment wasn't about the menu bar but where the items on the menus
> go.  LC moves the last item in your Help menu and the last two items
> in the Edit menu to different menus to accommodate the "guideline" as
> to where the About and Preferences menu items should appear. As
> you've found, you can break the HIG as far as the menu bar is
> concerned, but not which menus some items are placed on.

There has to be some way for LiveCode to determine where those items
are, so that it knows which ones to move to the correct locations in the
menu bar. It's arbitrary, but useful, to have those specific items
located in the same positions as they are on Linux and Windows. That way
you can create only a single menu bar, and on OS X it will appear correctly.

If you don't want to follow Apple's required menu structure, you can
create any menus you like and just not set the stack menubar property.
The menu group will remain in the stack window as it does on other
systems, and the system menu bar will be empty except for the few things
the OS puts there automatically. You will need to write commandkey
handlers to catch menu keystrokes in this case, since keyboard shortcuts
go to the system menu on Macs.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com