OT Re: horizontal and vertical scrolling

Joe Lewis Wilkins pepetoo at cox.net
Thu Jun 16 16:57:53 EDT 2011

As with all things "visual" there is a handedness that is gender based; the reason that Classical Architecture is almost always symmetrical. That's the way you build things if you want both genders to "see" things in exactly the same way. I have been told that about 90% of males read from left to right, while females are believed to read from right to left about 50 to 60% of the time;  perhaps the main reason that our writing and mathematical evaluations are performed in the manner it is; and, also, a likely explanation as to why some females seem to have difficulty with mathematics.

I have a little graphic with which I test my clients. Lets me know if the husband and wife are going to see things the same way and helps guide my preliminary designs. Also a good explanation, among others, as to why we build houses one way and then, also, flip them over and build them in reverse. I'd mention the success of Interior Designers who have female tendencies and their compatibility with the women of the households, but would probably be criticized for getting into questionable territory. Very interesting. Hmn!

Joe Lewis Wilkins
Architect and Director of Product Development