What's the syntax to check if a local folder exists?

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Tue Jun 7 11:13:52 EDT 2011

You got lots of responses about wether a folder exists, but to check if a folder does not contain files ("is empty") one has to do a rather complex script:

function folderIsEmpty theValidPath
  set the defaultFolder to theValidPath
  put the files into theList
  filter theList without ".*"
  if the number of words in theList <= 0 then
    return "empty"
  end if
end folderIsEmpty

Maybe there's additional problems with invisible and hidden files on windows?

Cheers
Björnke