SMIL and QuickTime

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 7 10:46:40 EDT 2011

Bernard Devlin wrote:
> I looked into SMIL/QT a couple of years back, but never did much with
> it.  Could it be simply that the URL in the xmlns:qt is returning a
> 404?  Maybe there was a real document there before.  If that is the
> problem, then maybe you can put the appropriate document up on a
> webserver of your own and change the URL.
>
> The main reason I decided not to look further into SMIL/QT was because
> it was clear that (at least in that incarnation) those technologies
> were being mothballed.  Maybe an QT update has changed the way things
> work.  I remember isolating QT so that it could not be updated, after
> I got my hand bitten before.

Many years ago I started work on a timeline editor for SMIL, but it was
just a hobby and I had no actual need for it so it never got very far.
Seeing where Apple's support for it is now, maybe letting it go wasn't a
bad thing.

It's too bad, though, because SMIL serves a role no other spec provides.
  If Apple's serious about making good on their anti-Flash agenda
they'll have to at least support SVG animation, which incorporates a
fair bit of SMIL.  TTML also offers a lot of promise, and also
incorporates some aspects of SMIL.

The most unfortunate thing about this is that searching for "SMIL" at
the Apple dev site turns up zero results - not even a page noting its
deprecation, or a redirect for the URL they apparently dumped.  Clumsy.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World