Windows?

David C. davidocoker at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 18:58:40 EDT 2011

> Aside from torrents, does anyone have a suggestion for the least expensive
> place to get a copy of Windows?
>
> I know there are OEM versions that are generally cheaper, but was wondering
> if anyone could recommend an online (or retail) supplier.  Not sure at this
> point whether I'll need XP or Win7 or both -- use is either going to be
> virtual (VMware) or running under Boot Camp on Macs.  I've done Amazon,
> Buy.com, etc., but I'm wondering if anyone has any alternate
> suggestions/recommendations that might be less common venues.
>
> (It would also be great if there was some kind of multi-user/family bundle
> available, to install on multiple systems, like MS does for Word bundles.)
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, UX Design

Hello Scott,
While I cannot offer any suggestions as to a specific retailer and the
like, I think I'm safe in saying this...

While there will be options galore for Window 7 resources (with a
relatively small amount of variation on price and shipping), take
great care should you decide to purchase a copy of Windows XP.  Since
Microsoft is no longer supplying XP as a retail consumer product, a
fairly huge industry of illegitimate software has sprung up around the
demand created.

It took me three tries to finally get a legitimate copy of XP and even
then it was because I finally found a local source where I could look
a human in the eye, laying hands on the product. The first two
attempts were from online sources that were selling worthless, pirated
copies that could not be successfully registered. Thankfully in both
instances, they were honest merchants, having been duped themselves,
that provided refunds for the bad products.

Do your best to stick to a known source of high repute if  you want a
good copy of XP... at any price or variety.

Best regards,
David C.