Where does survive the inventive user ?

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Thu Jul 28 16:40:29 EDT 2011

A one-seat, one-platform version of LiveCode is quite affordable.

Here's a scheme that might draw new, untrained users. Make LC into some kind of a game.

It starts with most of LC's features crippled or hidden. To unlock features you have to solve challenges. Step one, obviously -- Make a field, a button, and a script that puts "hello world" into the field. That unlocks one or two more commands, properties, objects, or whatever. Then you've got to do something a little harder, and so on. Lots of hints, prompts and mini-tutorials along the way. A moderately intelligent user who goofs around with it now and then could get pretty skilled within six months, or less.

I'm not in favor of Open Source for LC, for the usual reasons. It might be interesting to see what happens if a crippled form of LC is sold as a game, as described above, at a rather low price, perhaps free, with copyrights protected. It could catch, on virally perhaps. Those who become skilled and remain interested could upgrade to the full-featured version.

There's no obvious reason the "HyperCard revolution" could not happen again. I'd love to see it.

I meet lots of young people who want to learn to "program." Most of them don't even know what that means, or they think running a malware-dection app and reinstalling the OS is "programming."

When I was first learning hyperCard, I had a HyperCard stack that taught you how to use HyperCard. That's how I started. Don't remember much about it.

Cheers,

Tim