Lion: 10 Things that Bug Me

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 02:15:30 EDT 2011

On 07/23/2011 12:21 AM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> That is a big leap, from "I don't like the way they changed things" or "There seems to be a disconnect between the developers and the end users" to the purely moral judgement, "They are arrogant and don't care about end users". While I share some of your frustrations, I have to say, I would not like that judgement willy nilly made of me, especially by someone who doesn't know me from Adam.

Well, I may not know you from Adam; but I have been using Mac OS since
1993 (System 7).

> I think what is happening is that Apple believes all computing devices are going to become more like the iPad, and are developing towards that end, to get a jump on the market trend they foresee. In fact, they probably have lots of plans to hasten things along that path. I think it is a miscalculation on their part. But I was wrong once before, so it's possible it could happen again. ;-)

An iPad is one thing, and a desktop computer is another, and a laptop is
a third.

I see Mac OS focussing on the iPad at the expense of the desktop,

and I see Ubuntu focussing on the laptop at the expense of the desktop.

This will, eventually, cheese-off desktop users to the extent that they
look for other OSes that closer suit their needs.