Mac OS X missing controls in the LiveCode IDE

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Mon Jul 11 14:11:21 EDT 2011

crap...I hope I didn't blow my NDA...  I thought it was a feature
announced/added for 4.6.2 gm1

but yes...  that would change things. That would be incentive for me or
anyone else to cram and to  learn enough Obj-C to put these suggested xcmds
to work.

xcmds would be a solution to keep up with the rapidly changing and platform
specific UI components.

However this is accomplished with the cost of losing cross-platform
compatibility. Since what we are talking about is tapping the very specific
'furniture' of the OS, it should be noted these objects do not stand alone,
they build on libraries deep in the gut of the OS and cannot be
cross-compiled. Also there would be copyright issues here.

So it's clear that if one is considering  deployment on a number of
platforms in Livecode, that constructing *custom controls* is still the way
to go. I know it's possible to create customs that look and work *exactly *like
the native controls ( the amazing datagrid comes to mind) - but many of us
(myself included) get carried away with custom controls and make
"improvements" to the look which gives it away.

Sometimes there is just too much complexity in the information needed for a
dialog to use the stock dialogs, and one has to break the rules.

Custom controls are *cool*. One can make any UI gadget work just the way one
wants and clone hundreds of them and run them from a single behavior script.
And make a Droptool™ to share with others.