File naming convention

Jeff Massung massung at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 19:05:38 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 4:26 PM, David Bovill <david at vaudevillecourt.tv>wrote:

> Thanks for the notes everyone....
>
> > - Renaming source files (documentation "link" now broken)
> > - Moving of source files to a new location ("link" broken)
> >

> These are the headaches. One thought I've had is to use the revision
> control
> system to trace the files version back to it's original root,...

SHA1's and such will certainly help. If you've never used it before (sounds
like you have from your choice of jargon), GIT is pretty damn incredible at
figuring out file moves and realizing that file A is no longer there, file B
showed up, but oddly enough is almost exactly the same as A was, and
assuming that B is really just A moved to B's location.

You may be able to use that to your advantage.

Jeff M.