OT: Are Microsoft really at it again!

Jeff Massung massung at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 19:25:42 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Douglas <dougtechie at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Remember when Microsoft lost their European court cases about unfair
> business practices etc.?
>
> One of the conditions of being allowed to continue to supply Internet
> Explorer in boxed Windows 7 packs in the EU. was that they would add a
> "Browser Choice" page that would allow the user to choose any of the big 5
> browsers to install on their new setup.
>
> Nice idea, but I just installed a clean Win7 setup and all the other
> browsers are available EXCEPT FireFox !

Honestly, I just think that's silly. When I start up OS X for the first time
it doesn't ask me if I'd like to use Opera, Chrome, or FF instead of
Safari.

IMO, the only real annoyance w/ IE was that Explorer (the file browser) was
- for all intensive purposes - Explorer (the internet browser). They were
the same thing disguised as two separate apps. I believe that is no longer
true.

It takes me all of 3 minutes to use IE to download a different browser and
set it as my default.

Oh, and making Windows Update require IE sucks, too, though. ;-)

Jeff M.