Some thoughts on duck typing

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Wed Jan 12 07:26:54 EST 2011

David,

Be aware that this type inference will cost you cpu and degrade performance
if used constantly in the code like thousand steps in a loop. If it is a
variable which you control all the lifecycle, then you could attach metadata
to it and thus be able to create a little type system which I think is not
the case here because if this was an option you would not be asking this
list, so forgive my previous comments, they are just for archival benefit in
case someone search for this kind of info.

Now, about figuring out ducks from the rest of the fauna, I usually take
some other approach. I don't do usual duck typing by using something like:
"if it looks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck", I do extreme duck
typing, which is: "Can I make it quack?", so what I do is try exclusive
operations on the variable, if the operation succeeds, then it is a duck.

If you can figure out some operation that can only be done on images, then,
treat duck-to-be variable as image and try that operation, if it returns
true, then it is an image for all that we care, if it fails, it is something
else.

This kind of inference by behaviour is easy to implement once you found some
exclusive test operations but it is not error proof. For example, you can
try setting a player video to the content of duck-to-be then check out the
codec or the number of frames or something that only a real movie would have
but before that, you need to make sure that setting the video player to
random binary blobs will not yield results that can be tagged as false
positives.

PS: I coined the term extreme duck typing as I was writing this email, think
I will write a book about it and market it not for monetary benefit but to
have such thing next to all those agile books and other buzzword books...