RevServer deployment on OSX Server

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Feb 18 20:29:37 EST 2011

On 2/18/11 6:48 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> I don't find the feature parity close enough that it "is easily worked
> around by copying the script to a text file and including it that way".
>
> Some of the things that are "best practice" (IMO) for stack scripting
> just don't work when the script is saved to a text file and included:
>
> - private functions and handlers (don't work at all - cause an error)
> - script local variables (still work - but are not script local, so you
> may get name space pollution and dreadful-to-debug problems)

Good points. I never tried using private handlers, and namespace issues
don't seem to hit me much. Too much old HC habit I guess, where we had
to consider that stuff all the time.

> and some features are just unavailable
>
> - can't use password-protected stacks, so you cannot protect stack
> scripts on clients' sites

But we can't use stacks at all in iRev yet. Or did you mean for CGI? For
old-style CGI you should be able to use password protected stacks, but
you'll have to protect them with the 3.5 engine. The password scheme was
changed in 4.0, and the 3.5 engine doesn't work with it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com