LiveCode SQL APIs

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Mon Feb 14 18:08:23 EST 2011

Björnke,

In other languages, in days gone by, it was good practice to keep the
connection open if an application expected to issue multiple queries
(such as a user driven reporting application) becuase there was overhead
in setting up a connection and creating and opening a connection,
executing a query, and closing a connection for each query could impact
performance.

With the speed of today's servers, databases, clients, networks, and
LiveCode, I am not sure connection maintenance for performance has any
noticeable impact.

I am also interested because, even though I have tried to thoroughly
trap for connection timeout error and execute code to reconnect, i still
get "connection has gone away" errors every now and then. Instead of
revising all my error raping code again, I am considering code for
maintaining a persistent connection.