Extended 80-bit hex floating point (IEEE?) conversion

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Sun Feb 6 14:28:51 EST 2011

Thanks very much for your input, Alex and Jim. This stuff goes into my
scrapbook.
The designers of the AIFF format wanted to make sure no sample rate value
could left out for a thousand years!

Quite frankly, as I've found, there's only a handful of sample rates that
are in general use, however expressed, and the 80 bit value can be selected
from a lookup table and grokked from files created in other applications. As
I am discovering, there isn't much to control in an audioclip object.

I am still delving into the mysteries of exporting sound out of a Livecode
stack by script. I am now sure it can be done. Long ago I exported an audio
file this way from rev, imported through the raw feature of  Amadeus Pro,
and that fixed the headers and made it playable.

There appears to be only a couple of bit depths allowed in stacks: 16 or 8
bit.  I think everything is converted to a creator-less 16 bit 44.1 binary
stream with about 30 bytes of header inside of the stack. The data
interleaving in Livecode export, WAV and AIF files appear identical, after
the headers are stripped. Perhaps all audio in Livecode is stereo, and both
channels are used anyway for mono. I will have to investigate.
I am just about to experiment with stripping the Livecode header and tacking
on the audio data to a WAV or AIF header.

I have found out that exporting the audioclip in this way will also include
any custom property data attached to the clip, so it may be undesirable to
do that - otherwise the data would appear in the audio (probably inaudible
though).  This could be a way to tag and copyright the audio stream.

I will report on what I find.

sqb