How to send a number as a number or How to rule an LED

Thomas McGrath III mcgrath3 at mac.com
Fri Feb 4 12:38:32 EST 2011

Is this right?

char cmd[255];
int param = 0;
char buf[255];
int bufloc = 0;
while ( true )
{
   buf[ bufloc ] = Serial.Read();
   if ( buf[ bufloc ] == 13 ) // CR EOL
   {
      sscanf( buf, "%s %i", cmd, &param );
       if ( !strcmp( cmd, "LED" ) ) // if cmd == "LED"
           DoLed( param );
       else if ( !strcmp( cmd, "BEEP" ) ) // if cmd == "BEEP"
           DoBeep( param );

       memset( buf, 0, sizeof( buf ) ); // clear the buffer
       bufloc = 0; // start at the beginning again
   }
   else
   {
       ++bufloc; // next read will go in the next buf char
       if ( bufloc > 255 )
       {
           // ERROR - buffer overflow - line too long - missing CR? (print
something...)
           memset( buf, 0, sizeof( buf ) );
           bufloc = 0;
       }