French Ears

Tim Selander selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Wed Dec 14 20:41:42 EST 2011

(I should probably let one of the native Japanese people on this
list answer, but...)

I don't know French, and am not precisely sure what you mean by
'tonic accents' and am not a linguist, so don't know the proper
term, but in Japanese each syllable of a word has exactly the
same beat or rhythm, so it sounds rather staccato to an English
speaker.

But the voice can rise in pitch, stay flat, or drop in pitch for
each syllable. To foreign ears, it is a very, very slight change
-- but of course a very obvious change to native speakers. And
that slight change in pitch can completely change the meaning of
a word. The language has a gazzillion (yes, I believe that is the
proper technical term ;-) homonyms. Just one example:
"Hashi" = chopsticks
"Hashi" = bridge
"Hashi" = the edge, like the edge of a table

and the slight up/down/flat pitch combinations of the two
syllables determines which word, (chopsticks, bridge or edge),
you are saying.

HTH

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan