Running a multiline shell command

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 08:29:29 EST 2011

Could also go the open process route.
put "telnet youripdaddress" into tProcess
open process tProcess for update
-- not real code, just quicky pseudo
read from the process until you get the username prompt
write theusername & return to process tProcess
read from process until yuo get the username prompt
write thepassword & return to process tProcess
read till you see a prompt
write "the command you need here" & return to process tProcess
read from process to get the info you need.

There is a very simple interactive shell stack that I posted here somewhere
(was based on windows) but if you change it to run your telnet instead, you
can go through line by line entering the commands yourself (as you did from
a terminal) and see what responses you are looking for so that you can more
easily set up the final script.  It will display the promps you need so you
know what you're looking for before each "send"

Another option would be to figure out timings and just "wait for..."
instead of doing a read to see if its time to enter username or password.

Found my link to the interactiveshell stack. Should be easy to find the
place to change "cmd" to your telnet command.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11957935/simpleInteractiveShell.livecode
As I said its set up for windows at the moment so will choke on open.
(opens the process when stack opens) so might turn messages off before
opening so you can tweak it first.