OT: Elevated admin rights or admin on Mac

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Mon Apr 4 06:29:17 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am not used to the rights management on Mac, so I don't know where to
start looking.

One of my LiveCode programs is installed in 3 steps.

1.       Dragging the prog from the dmg to the app folder

2.       Starting a tool on the CD to copy some videos to:
/library/preferences/MyFolder

3.       When starting my prog the first time, it creates an ini file at:
/library/preferences/MyFolder

A customer tried to install my prog with a user with restricted rights. He
was asked to "elevate to admin rights" (I just don't know the exact pharse),
but step 2 and 3 failed. When doing the same with the admin user, everything
worked fine. He told me that installing of other programs worked ok also
with the restricted user and the additionally "elevating".

The difference to my "installation" probably is that step 2 + 3 are not any
more an "installation", but standard program job. Probably I could change
the library path to a user based path, but the the program would be
restricted to that installation user.

My question: Is it state of the art on Mac, that you should be able to
install every program also with a standard user, or is it ok to say that my
program can only be installed by an admin?

Thanks for your experience

Tiemo