Hopefully a simple question

wayne durden wdurden at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 09:56:43 EDT 2010

For the part about setting up the graphic, what it sounds like you are after
is typically referred to as making seamless tiles.  In many graphic programs
there is an "offset filter".  I think you are describing the gist, a 50%
horizontal and vertical offset, and then you smooth out the imperfections
along the two central axis afterwards using a clone tool, or smudge or
blur....

There are many tutorials/explanations around once you know the term you are
looking for..

Here is one:

http://www.cadtutor.net/dd/photo/seamless/seamless.html

Wayne