Slow launch times on Windows 7

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Sep 17 16:22:51 EDT 2010

Recently, wayne durden wrote:

> I am going to throw out one more time that I thought someone relatively
> recently had said on one of the runrev lists that they had an app that was
> taking a long time to launch and by updating the graphics driver the problem
> vanished.   It seemed relatively unusual to me at the time that that could
> make a difference.  I kind of expected that whoever it was might chime in by
> now.  I tried finding this reference using "the google" but no luck there.
> I thought it might be one of the Mark's or Malte but I guess not, and
> perhaps I dreamed the whole thing.

Historically, display drivers did affect performance of MetaCard, the
precursor to Revolution/liveCode(?), so this seems plausible.

The other possibility mentioned was QuickTime, where setting the the
dontUseQT at startup enabled normally slow running apps to perform better.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design