[FOSS] On the creation of Rev to Web tools

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Wed Sep 15 12:19:53 EDT 2010

David,

I think I was misunderstood on the two environment part. When I say web
server and Rev IDE I am not saying remote web server in the sense of a
server far away but a little process running alongside the IDE on the same
machine. Not unlike the mongrel/ruby coupling.

You'll be working all on client side. No wasted bandwidth or extra CPU power
required.

You need, in my opinion, the server running to be able to develop in an
environment that is equal to your deployment option so that you don't end up
with cycles such as:

1 - build stuff in Rev
2 - convert it to web
3 - run it and it does not work or does not layout right
4 - back to Rev

If you're constantly building and tweeking inside a HTML5 enabled window,
you get the following benefits:

1 - You avoid any conversion need since you are already on the deployed
environment
2 - WYSIWYG approach, what you see on the canvas is exactly what the client
will see, no need to compile or translate anything

This way we maintain one of the strongest features of Rev which is being
able to develop incrementally avoiding the overhead of compile-debug-code
loops.

So in summary:
1 - the server is there because we need something to output as
real-as-possible data to a RevBrowser window inside Rev IDE where the
development will be done.