Real Basic Web edition - No Plugin Required!

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 10:09:45 EDT 2010

  On 09/15/2010 04:52 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> David Bovill wrote:
>
>> On 15 September 2010 14:08, AndyP <smudge.andy at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've noticed that Real Basic are about to launch a web edition.
>>> Went to their site expecting a web plugin requirement and found this:
>>>
>>> 'REAL Studio Web Edition apps run as a FastCGI on Apache.' !
>>>
>>> http://www.realsoftware.com/web/ http://www.realsoftware.com/web/
>>>
>>> No plugin so works on most default Apache set ups. As it's a cgi it
>>> will
>>> work on Ipad, Iphone and most browsers.
>>>
>>> Now I'm not a Real Basic fan but have to say that having the web
>>> version to
>>> output FastCGI is pretty neat.
>>>
>>> Surely this is a better way for RunRev to go for the web and avoid
>>> plugins
>>> altogether. Wouldn't this open up the uses and market for RunRev?
>>
>> Yes - I'd have to agree with you. Luckily we can get the same
>> experience by
>> working with Revolution and Rodeo <http://rodeoapps.com/>. RunRev should
>> never have put development effort into a plugin, it was always more
>> sensible
>> to develop integrated revServer / JavaScript solutions, but this is
>> not a
>> solution that RunRev with it's focus on the engine fully appreciated
>> - I've
>> never felt they got the web. Of course some people love the plugin,
>> it makes
>> me smile too, and only the future will truly tell - in 2 years time
>> will we
>> be looking at a rich range of web apps using JavaScript, HTML / HTML5 as
>> their front ends or will lots of us be using a web plugin?
>
> Jun 27, 2006:
>
>     So in brief, if ToolBook could do this almost a decade ago I see
>     no reason why Rev couldn't also:
>
>     1. Identify a subset of things that would be useful in a browser.
>
>     2. Make a Rev library with handlers to support those tasks.
>
>     3. Make a JavaScript library with corresponding handlers to get
>        those behaviors in a browser.
>
>     4. Author in Rev, have a library generate the objects as DHTML
>        snippets in a web page, reference the JavaScript lib,
>        and upload.
>
>     5. Give the URL to your friends and enjoy. :)
>

>     Oh, and I forgot Step 0 (before 1):
>
>     0. Get some of the open source advocates here to do #1, 2, and 3.
>
> <http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2006-June/083955.html>

Oh, Gosh, its that time of the year again; when we dig out our old
hobby-horses and reiterate them again, again,
again . . . anybody remember my Agent-led interface prototype for
developing RunRev stacks by teachers?????

If 10% of the ideas that have been batted around on this Use-List over
the last 10 years had actually got further
than somebody's PC we WOULD be living in a different world to what we do.

Sadly, there is the "bread and curd" problem (remember; no s*x,
r*l*g**n, m*n*y or ch**s*), and we all have to
fill our bellies.