ANN: PowerDebug (was Re: Question about the debugger in Rev 4.0)

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri Sep 10 04:27:36 EDT 2010

Monte-

> Did you know revTools comes back toplevel after it's hidden? I'm
> sure it's fixed in the newer version

OK - that's a new one. I've never seen that, and none of the beta
testers have ever reported seeing it. Maybe there's some interaction
with other plugins in your system?

> Take a look at the way revObjective is separated into two plugins
> now. An invisible one not shown on the menu and a modeless one that
> is on the menu. Although your plugin is clearly much more complex
> maybe that's a good option for you? The visible one could be the
> help/prefs stack. We need heaps more plugin hooks.

More plugin hooks would be great. Until then, here's what I've done
with the latest build: on preOpenStack I check to see if the string
"revmenubar.rev" & ",menuPick" is in the executionContexts. If so then
it was instantiated from the plugins menu and I bring up the
preferences menu, otherwise the debugger was launched from a
breakpoint or error condition, and stack opening proceeds normally.

> One other thing is if the debug console is open and you try and quit rev then rev hangs.

Another one I've never seen. It works OK here, although I don't
usually try to quit while I've got a debug session open. I just
downloaded the version from revOnline to check these things out and I
don't see either of the effects you're describing. I'm mystified.

> Overall it looks like a great new addition to Rev.

Thanks. I am, by the way, quite envious of your 27-inch screen.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net