Death of Versiontracker

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Wed Sep 8 10:45:33 EDT 2010

That is really sad. Versiontracker was way ahead of the similar sites.
I really enjoyed working with it.

I went to the new CNET site and guess what, two softwares I built
still there but with the wrong dl count :-/

BlogWorkz
http://download.cnet.com/BlogWorkz/3000-10440_4-10254441.html?tag=mncol

iBlog
http://download.cnet.com/iBlog-Classic/3000-2155_4-20585.html?tag=mncol

There's an interesting story there. Once upon a time, when blogs were
not as mainstream as they are today, back in Mac OS 9, I created the
first blog client for the Macintosh. I think I was one of the first
developers to support Pyra/Blogger API 1.0. The software was called
iBlog and was done with REALBasic (this is before me migrating my
development to Rev).

iBlog was quite successful but times marched on and Mac OS X was
released. The first REALBasic release for Mac OS X was quite buggy so
I decided to learn Objective-C/Cocoa to develop a native client and so
BlogWorkz was built. BlogWorkz is basically a clone of iBlog
implemented in a different toolkit.

For a while, I controlled a big chunk of the blog client for mac
ecosystem and it was fun because I controlled the competition because
I made both clients and improved them like matching features on each
other for a while. Some people started saying that BlogWorkz was
better, others saying that iBlog was there first and was more stable,
many never noticed that a single developer built both clients... I had
mischievous fun seeing this happen because both clients were hosted at
the same domain and no one noticed.

Later I discovered Rev and reimplemented BlogWorkz in Rev. I also
created BRP (Blog Research Project) in Rev which is a basic iBlog
reimplementation done in a single day. I never released the new
version because these days there are so many blog clients available
that it is not worth to implement all the features they have just for
the sake of competition.

VersionTracker was my main source of customers. MacUpdate never came
close. I'd spend my morning looking on the web for high profile
macintosh bloggers, I would send them a free copy of my software and
kindly ask for a review and feedback. This practice was responsible
for maybe 30% of the sales, the rest was people searching
VersionTracker. Till today, BlogWorkz still sells a license or two per
year. I usually refund them and give the guys a serial anyway, it is
no longer supported.