Livecode mobile: accented chars and umlauts on iPhone

BNig niggemann at uni-wh.de
Fri Nov 26 19:18:23 EST 2010

Dear List,

those of you that live in 'high ASCII' countries with languages that use
accented characters and umlauts and develop for iOS will notice that
entering an accented character in a field and then a 'low ASCII" character
the text will turn to chinese characters. This might not be what you expect.

Rolf Kocherhans and I ran into this problem and we found a solution that I
would like to share.
Apparently Revmobile in its current version prerelease 15 has trouble with
Unicode and the iOS.

The solution is to add a handler to the field:

---------------------------
on rawKeyUp
   -- works for french, spanish, german and maybe some other languages
   -- does not work with eastern european languages
   put uniDecode ((the uniCodeText of me),"ANSI") into me
   select after me
   pass rawKeyUp
end rawKeyUp
--------------------------

Please be careful if you want to copy this script into your field script. As
of Livecode version 4.5 there is a bug that inserts ASCII 202 non breaking
space into the copied text in the script editor that keeps this from working
on the iPhone. You either type the script manually or copy it into a text
editor first, convert it to text only (removing all formatting) and then you
can paste it into the script editor.

The above script gives you the text you expect. It is the usual Mac text as
far as the hight ASCII values are concerned.

You have to put it into a on rawKeyUp handler since it does not work in on
keyUp handler because for reasons unknown to me an accented character on the
iOS does not trigger the keyUp message, only the rawKeyUp message. Took me a
while to figures that one out.

Hope this might be of help to the 'hight ASCII' language people. (Unless you
want to brush up your chinese) :)

regards

Bernd