How do you programmatically create ... // Valentina demo - 30 days non stop.

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Wed Nov 24 10:17:12 EST 2010

On 11/24/10 1:52 PM, "Mark Schonewille" <m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com>
wrote:

Hi Mark,

> You are wrong.

Nope :-)  We watching for mySQL for many years.

> From the website: "MySQL Software is provided under the GPL
> License. OEMs, ISVs and VARs can purchase commercial licenses."

Above quote is from website.
And below is your own comment (believe). Right?

> This allows for many unpaid uses.

Almost yes, but not so many.

You can be unpaid only if YOU make self FOSS -- Free Open Source project.
I think most RB/REV/Director developers do NOT open their sources.

I have see on your site, you make revlets.
Where are open sources / stacks of any of them?
You or your client must put on public open sources of that revlets to have
free way. Right?

> Only if you intend to *sell* the MySQL
> software together with your product, you need to buy a license.

People and you can read very carefully
    http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/
    http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/oem/

And see prices here:

https://shop.oracle.com/pls/ostore/f?p=ostore:2:0::NO:RP,2:PROD_HIER_ID:5809
5029061520477171389

Some people think that this is 2000$ is price mainly for support.
But wrong. Let you want deploy your app to 100 schools.
You need install 100 mySQL servers.
Price 2000$ is PER SERVER / PER YEAR.   Count self total price.

NOTE: this is price for OEM, ISVS and VARs, which need deploy many copies.

Where you have see SUPPORT price, which depends on the number of deployed
copies?  So no need to be foolished. This is price for A COPY of DB SERVER.

Just as reminder, MS SQL server cost e.g. $4-8K  per server.
Oracle easy can be $10-15K.

2) on REALbasic list during last couple of years was VERY DETAILED
discussions about mySQL licenses.

Even before Oracle purchase it, mySQL was quite commercial.
And many developers have start move from it.

Yes exists unpaid variants ... But many people think wrong.
For example.

* somebody think that if he make APP for schools and say -- hey download
mySQL and install it self, then he do not need buy mySQL.  WRONG.

On mySQL site was explained in FAQs that even fact of usage of client mySQL
library in your commercial software -- is reason to buy it.

This is why, if you remember, yet 4-5 years ago, mySQL client library was
thrown away from PHP installation and Lite was added as default.

* you are safe only if your own project is GPL and open source.

And many other scenarios was discussed on REALbasic lists.
Was pointed that ISPs also cannot use it so free.

Try to search archives who is interested.

May be something was changed ...  But I did not hear about this.
I have hear only about raise of price month ago by Oracle
    from $450 to 2000$ per server per year.

Yes, nothing to discuss here. During last 36 months people have discuss this
a lots of time. Was shown examples when developers did call to mySQL
company, and what answers they did get ..

Best advice can be -- make call to get info if for your project you can use
it for free or what price they will specify for you.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology