How do you programmatically create an empty database?

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Tue Nov 23 18:10:11 EST 2010

On 11/23/10 11:46 PM, "Jonathan Lynch" <jonathandlynch at gmail.com> wrote:

> Honestly, I am still just trying to get my head around using databases.
>
> I use Rev for processing text in all sorts of creative ways at work - vastly
> increases our productivity - but, I know next to nothing about database use.
>
> The logical process, to me, would be the following:
>
> - Create database file
> - Populate it with columns
> - Set up my application to use an embedded database app to write and
> retrieve data as needed
>
> Say, for example, if I wanted to experiment with Valentina (knowing that the
> demo version only lasts 10 minutes before the app has to be restarted). I
> could not fool around with it, without having an existing file to work with.
>
> So, I thought to myself, my first step must be to create a database file. I
> am not committed to doing it in a script, I just don't know how else to
> access the embedded database driver functionalities.
>
> Should I just find a blank database file somewhere on the web and download
> it?

Actually, we always recommend, and this is shown in our V4REV examples,
That app on start create db with its tables.

When you have such code in your app, it will be able easy in 1 second create
new fresh empty database with tables/links/triggers/views/SPs, ...

You can write this code, as in API so in SQL way with Valentina.

------------
To start develop some DB, it is good idea take paper and pencil or some
software which can draw diagrams, e.g. MS Access or Valentina Studio.

Develop your tables and links between them.

Then you can easy in Valentina Studio do SQL DUMP of that db,
And you will get nice set of CREATE TABLE XXX ...  Commands
Which you can easy put into your V4REV code to create new empty db.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology