Using SQLite as a multi-user database?

Jonathan Lynch jonathandlynch at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 15:34:33 EST 2010

Hi Ruslan,

What is the open/close trick? Is this the idea of opening the record in
question, loading it into the application, then closing and saving the
record while putting some kind of marker in the record to indicate that it
is locked - then, when the user is done with the record, the application
again opens the record, saves the information, removes the record-locking
notation, and closes it again?

Basically doing all transactions where the user opens, does the transaction,
and closes for every single transaction?

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin <
ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com> wrote:

> On 11/23/10 8:41 PM, "Jonathan Lynch" <jonathandlynch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am in the same sort of boat.
> >
> > I am making an application that would use a database file on a shared
> drive.
> > Maybe 10-20 people would be writing to it during any given day. It seems
> > like Valentina would be a good choice for this, but, as silly as it
> sounds,
> > I don't have a practical funding mechanism to pay for the $200 expense.
> >
> > I might try doing it with SQLite, but this conversation, and a few
> previous
> > conversations related to this topic, are making me nervous about doing
> that.
>
> * From 1998 to 2002(3) year ...
> While Valentina engine was single user only and was no Valentina Server,
> Valentina users did use OPEN/CLOSE trick
>

> I think you can use the same trick now for both
> A) SqlLite
> B) Valentina in single user mode
>
> For their dbs that are on shared volume.
>

> I remember that yet in 1999-00, on that time hardware,
> Was a German user, which told he is able manage in this way group in 50-100
> users.
>
> On modern hardware limits can be higher I think.
>
> -----
> And keep in mind that this open/close trick, of course kills idea of DB
> Cache.
>
> Another Valentina user did bench, and told us that for him, Valentina
> Server
> way works near to 17-20 times faster of open/close trick.
>

> --
> Best regards,
>
> Ruslan Zasukhin
> VP Engineering and New Technology