Using SQLite as a multi-user database?

Jonathan Lynch jonathandlynch at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 13:41:04 EST 2010

I am in the same sort of boat.

I am making an application that would use a database file on a shared drive.
Maybe 10-20 people would be writing to it during any given day. It seems
like Valentina would be a good choice for this, but, as silly as it sounds,
I don't have a practical funding mechanism to pay for the $200 expense.

I might try doing it with SQLite, but this conversation, and a few previous
conversations related to this topic, are making me nervous about doing that.

2010/11/23 Björnke von Gierke <bvg at mac.com>

> I think fredrik just uses installed programs and a sqlite file on a network
> share. Which is a smart way to circumvent "no server" rules, and sqlite
> seems to be able to do that.
>
> As for rev not being able to react to multiple clients on sockets, that is
> not how it works. if you do not use blocking wait, and/or have huge and long
> calculations, everything should work, for quite a few clients.
>
> the most chatrev-clients ever where about 25 (over the internet, not a
> private network), and it didn't even slow down at all, running from a 400
> mhz pentium II with 700 mb (or similar) of ram.
>
> I'd guess you can go into the low hundreds before needing to do special
> things, as long as everyone can be served within a few milliseconds or so.
>

> On 23 Nov 2010, at 19:04, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
>
> >> Oh, and the reason I have to use SQLite is that I can't run any database
> >> servers (the IT department would be.... annoyed to say the least).
> >
> > Once again:
> >     Fredrick thinks that IT department will not allow
> >        ANY db server.
>

> --
>
> official ChatRev page:
> http://bjoernke.com?target=chatrev <http://bjoernke.com/?target=chatrev>