Hypercard stack quits before opening solved

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Mon Nov 22 08:07:32 EST 2010

I no longer have Hypercard, or a computer system that supports it.
Lightening took that computer out, so it is not possible to open them
in Hypercard to compress.

I had created several shareware games in Hypercard just before it
went defunct and it was awhile before I took the plunge to Metacard.
I kept waiting, as did we all, for Apple to change their minds and
move forward but they never did.

It was overwhelming to have everything I'd created "break" when Apple
came out with OSX.  While I had originally intended to move them all
forward in Metacard, one sort of took over and became almost a full
time thing and the others languished.  People kept asking for more
features so I focused on that program.  Hence the long delay in
moving the rest of the stacks forward.  I assumed that
Metacard/Revolution would handle it when I was ready and I wasn't
sure I was even going to do it so they sat.

I am now, very belatedly, moving one of the others forward.  I've
already revamped the graphics.   No way to access it in Hypercard
anymore.  If it weren't for my old old version of Metacard, I don't
know if it could be accessed, if there is a trick in Revolution to
open the old Hypercard stacks.

It's been a challenge because the documenation for the game was in an
application called DocMaker, also now defunct, and I had not saved it
in a friendlier format.  But I found a way into that too.
Procrastination does come back to bite us!

Not everyone with old Hypercard stacks would necessarily have the old
Metacard to open them.  I've found my solution, but I do wonder about
other folks in the same boat.

Shari