Gif issues

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Wed Nov 17 08:02:51 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Andrew Kluthe <andrew at rjdfarm.com> wrote:

>  My splash screen presents a login and upon authenticating the actual
> splash
> comes up, checks for updates, then connects to a database using SQLYoga. I
> had made 2 handlers, one for starting and showing the gif, and one for
> stopping, hiding and resetting the gif's state.
>
> Everything works as it should until SQLYoga actual goes to connect to the
> database. At this point the gif animation freezes until the connection is
> successfully made. The rest of the processes for initialization are
> lightning fast so primarily the gif is for the wait on the connection to
> the
> db.

GIF animations will not animate while the engine is involved in a long
process. If it is taking a while to connect to the database then the engine
is in a revOpenDatabase call which would stop the GIF animation.

I don't know that the GIF animation issue is something that can be addressed
right now but you could submit a request to have revOpenDatabase be
non-blocking. hostnametoaddress was recently update in 4.5 so a to be
non-blocking if [callback] was provided:

hostnameToAddress(hostname, [ callback ])

This is significant because now our applications don't have to lock up if
there is a problem connecting to the internet. Maybe revOpenDatabase could
have a [callback] option as well.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems