LiveCode Personal Banner

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 06:02:06 EST 2010

On 11/16/2010 12:23 PM, Francis Nugent Dixon wrote:
> Hi from Beautiful Brittany,
>
> Terry Judd wrote :
>
>> What about creating a personal 'player' application that starts up
>> automatically and is just left running in the background.
>
> That's what I do. I have my favourite stack names in a tiny list,
> displayed by a "Call.app" loaded in my Mac Startup, sitting in
> a corner of my screen (OK - so I have a "20 iMac and a second
> "24 screen, so I have plenty of space !).
> My Favourite stacks load in 1 second. So much for my own personal use.
>
> As for the 10 second banner on standalones, I imagine that RunRev needs
> the publicity, to try and increase its User Base. I always learned that
> it is not publicity that sells a product, but the satisfied users.
> I spend quite some time with my friends giving glowing reports about how
> I use RunRev, and what I do with it. They are always impressed,
> especially
> when they see it all on screen. Whether they buy the product is a
> different
> problem. I don't know many people who do, want to, or will ever, program,
> however enticing the product is. RunRev is a niche product, the User Base
> will always be limited. Hypercard was enticing, but LiveCode is SO
> powerful,
> and SO extensive, that it can switch off amateurs in 30 seconds flat !

That is something I must flatly disagree with.

If one tells a would-be "hobby" user ALL the capabilities of RR/LC it will
make them switch off.

If one shows a would-be "hobby" user how simple a matter it is to get
a relatively straight-forward program up-and-running they will be dead
keen on RR/LC very quickly indeed.

I have shown 7-10 year old kids how to make calculator programs (i.e. +,
-, * and /)
and had them quickly tackling slightly more complicated things: if I had
started
wobbling-on about database connectivity they would have been running for the
door faster than you can say "Livecode".