Audio Triggering + Mouse Event latency

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Nov 12 12:29:37 EST 2010

On 11/11/10 10:11 PM, Anthony Howe wrote:

> Key problem? All of these implementations deliver repeatable, less
> than desirable responsiveness from the button that is being clicked
> by the user to trigger the audio. It's just initiating playback too
> slowly to cut it as a playable 'instrument'.

Fastest results will be with an embedded audio clip, so don't use a
player, use the "play audioclip" command. Then see if performance
improves if you suspend the development environment (last entry in the
Development menu.) The IDE has a constant stream of behind-the-scenes
messaging going on, with lots of pending messages and interceptions.
These may be slowing down the response. Suspending the IDE removes these.

Also, the first access to the sound clip can be slower because it needs
to load. Repeated access after that should be pretty quick. But
different things can unload it again. I'm not sure exactly what does
that, but I've noticed it when changing cards.

If that doesn't work, see if using a keyboard key is faster. Try a
keydown handler.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com