Saving/importing custom controls to/from file

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Nov 8 15:41:54 EST 2010

On a whim I tried copying a group and saving the contents of the clipboard
(clipboardData[³objects²]) to file. I then cleared the clipboard and set the
clipboardData to the file and was able to paste the Œreconstructed¹ object
back into my stack. I have to admit that I was surprised that this worked as
I always just expected that the clipboard data would just contain some
pointers to the copied objects rather than a usable copy of the control. The
same also method appears to work for entire cards.

There may? be some benefits in using this approach compared to saving
controls in Œlibrary¹ stacks. Is anybody already doing this, and if so what
are their experiences (pros and cons)?

Terry...

Dr Terry Judd | Senior Lecturer in Medical Education
Medical Education Unit
Melbourne Medical School
The University of Melbourne